Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Plans

While the folk proverb "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans" has always annoyed me to some level, (because it makes God too simplistic) I suppose that it is in some respects true.


Where I live, is a small town. You've got the whole small town environment, the small town cliques, the small town everybody-is-in-everybody's business place. You either fit in here....or you don't.

Fortunately for me, I've gotten along well with the town. Much as I've longed to get the heck out of here, those plans are not in the immediate future, especially now. But I digress.

For those of you who read my lovely EMT Internship blog  http://emt-internship.blogspot.com/
you've known that it is my heart's desire to work in an Emergency Department, and to work in one pronto. As in, right after I finished EMT school, I thought for sure an excellent job would come pouring out from the heavens.

Didn't happen.

I applied for a job a few months ago in the Emergency Department up here. Nothing. I called HR wondering what happened. I was told it was canceled. Canceled! Who the heck cancels a job?

My dreams flushed away, I thought for sure that I'd be stuck never getting a job in the health profession.

Until a few weeks ago, I discovered a per diem position at the hospital up here. I promptly applied, even left work in the middle of the day (Shh! Don't tell anyone!) to drop off the application.

A call for an interview came a few days later.

I really hate job interviews, especially with questions such as "if your best friend were to tell me why you should work here, what would they say about you?" (........) or "In a few sentences, tell me everything about yourself so that I can say to myself: Wow! I really know her!" (.........)

And so a few weeks went by. Nothing. I had been told that if I had gotten the position, I'd hear from them within a few days. Once more, I felt as if my dreams were flushed away, and I resigned myself to a life of not being in the profession I want. (Drama Queen!!)

But then, today, oh today, I got the call. And hence, I have been offered a very well paying per diem position contingent on if I pass a background check (piece o' cake!) and a two to three hour physical exam (what the world are they going to do to me?!)

Some call it luck, coincidence, or good timing. I call it a gift from God.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, that's great :) Is this a full time job? As an EMT or just in the Emergency Department?

    ReplyDelete